By: Bailey Larmore

Welcome back from Thanksgiving Break, Deacs! This week, I sat down and talked to Martina, one of our personal trainers, to get some tips on how to stay active during finals season. Hear about Martina’s job, her adventures, and more!

Martina Lammel is a current junior who has been working as a personal trainer at the gym since her freshman year. In addition to her role as a personal trainer, she also works at Outdoor Pursuits and leads weekend trips.

BL: Do you have any advice for students as finals season sets in?

ML: I think it’s really important to allocate time for yourself, even if it’s just for 30 minutes during the day. Setting aside that time and taking a study break is important, especially during the busy last weeks of the semester. For example, I have a client who makes time to meditate, and the practice of meditating helps her destress.

BL: How do you stay active when you’re busy?

ML: I live off-campus, so I try to park away from academic buildings and get exercise as I walk to class. Taking a walk is a convenient, easy way to fit in time for exercise.

BL: How could someone get active when they have a lot of studying to do?

ML: Going for a walk is a great way to stay active, whether you walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes or even just walk around your room. Personally, I love spending time outside. Going for a walk around campus or anywhere outside can be refreshing.

BL: What is your favorite part of your job as a personal trainer?

ML: A favorite moment for me was recently when one of my clients told me how a couple family members made comments about her weight, and in response she asked, “why is the discussion about weight?” It’s special to see the girl I work with growing confidence and not worrying about seeing instant changes in their bodies. The numbers on a scale don’t matter, and you have to remember muscle mass weighs more than fat. So when I see that increase of confidence in a client, it’s my favorite part.

BL: Do you have a set routine for when you exercise or a schedule set for the time of day you exercise?

ML: Not really. I typically go to the gym at night. I also enjoy rock climbing and bouldering; I love the rock wall at Wake and the rock wall in downtown Winston. I used to have a sort of schedule, but I mainly add exercise to my day as a fun activity, like when I want to get outside.

BL: What kind of music do you like to listen to when you work out?

ML: I usually listen to rap music as I exercise.

BL: What are your plans for the upcoming final weeks of the semester?

ML: I’m really excited for the caving trip that I’m leading this weekend! Visiting caves is awesome because you hike and crawl through small spaces, and the sights are amazing. I’m looking forward to getting outside amidst the final weeks of the semester.

BL: Do you have anything else you’d like to share, maybe a fun fact about yourself or your job?

ML: On a caving trip, I learned that the only 3 places to experience total darkness are in space, deep underwater, and in a cave. This total darkness is something like you’ve never seen before; it’s crazy!

Talking with Martina was fun and encouraged me to spend more time outside. We wish you all the best of luck during these last weeks of the fall semester. 

Follow Campus Rec on Facebook and Instagram for more content!